Friday, October 17, 2008

day 3 - walkways

I've been mostly walking around. The weather is too nice to be indoors. So, with the exception of a visit to the National Archaeological Museum and enjoying the occasional frappe, I've been spending my time walking around.

I've been surprised by the variation in road widths. A road in Athens can be a walkway barely wide enough for two people side-by-side or a multi-lane street with sidewalks and room for parking. And a road can start out with multiple lanes and become a narrow walkway. My map depicts all roads, regardless of width, as a thin white line with a name. As a result, I've missed several roads I was looking for because I thought they were building vestibules or entrances to courtyards. It won't be long before I walk into building vestibule thinking it is a street, because there are plenty of those, too.

The sidewalks are a patchwork of paving tiles, concrete and stone. They are a mix of patterns, materials, and colors. Perhaps some neighborhoods are more uniform and the mix and match I've observed only occurs in the center. I'm not sure.



No comments: