Tuesday, October 14, 2008

first day in Athens

I arrived this morning and have done a combination of napping and wandering around.
At first glance things here don't seem too out of the ordinary (but I expect that to change):
My apartment has recognizable ikea furniture, a good Internet connection and a TV with CNN .
There are a lot of clothing & shoe stores in this area, many of which are European chain stores.
The grocery store I went to had a decent selection of organic as well as American junk food.

It's hard to see the sky; the streets are narrow and the buildings block the view. I had been wandering for hours before I got a slim view of the Acropolis. I look forward to seeing how this view manifests itself in other parts the city.

The street names are written in both the Greek and Latin alphabet. My first task will be to master the Greek alphabet, which everyone says is easy, but still looks like potters marks to me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi michelle, good to read your activities. you'll have a great time i'm sure.say hi to heather for us. and good luck.
Steven